Need a beauty boost? Grab a glass of water. We all know that water is important for our health, but did you know all of the amazing things it could do for your appearance? Believe it or not, drinking enough water each and every day can be the answer to your biggest beauty problems (we’re talking dull skin, brittle nails, and even thinning hair).
So how water much is enough? “The average person requires 48 to 64 ounces (or 6 to 8 cups) of fluids per day,” says dietitian Amanda Foti of Selvera. And by fluids, the expert doesn’t mean soda or other sugary beverages. If you don’t love the taste of plain old water and struggle to consume the proper amount, unsweetened tea or coffee are also healthy options (just limit your caffeine intake to no more than two cups a day so you won’t have trouble falling asleep later on). Or you can try tossing in a lemon slice or a splash of fruit juice to add a hint of flavour.
Here’s 15 benefits of drinking water:
1. It lubricates the joints Cartilage, found in joints and the disks of the spine which contains around 80 percent water.
2. It forms saliva and mucus.
Saliva helps us digest our food and keeps the mouth, nose, and eyes moist.
3. It delivers oxygen throughout the body.💪🏽
4. It boosts skin health and beauty.🥰
5. It cushions the brain, spinal cord, and other sensitive tissues.🧠
6. It regulates body temperature. 🤒
7. The digestive system depends on it. The bowel needs water to work properly. 💩
8. It flushes body waste. 🚽
9. It helps maintain blood pressure. 🩸
10. The airways need it.
When dehydrated, airways are restricted by the body in an effort to minimize water loss. 💨
11. It makes minerals and nutrients accessible. 🍎🥦
12. It prevents kidney damage.
The kidneys regulate fluid in the body.🙅🏾♀️🙅🏽
13. It boosts performance during exercise.🏋️♂️
14. Weight loss. Water may also help with weight loss, if it is consumed instead of sweetened juices and sodas. 💪🏽
15. It reduces the chance of a hangover.🍺 🍸
Medically reviewed by Karen Cross, FNP, MSN on July 16, 2018
Join us for a FREE consultation or nutrition class get started!